This is where we’ll announce the most recent additions to our web site. If you’ve visited us before and want to know what’s changed, take a look here first.
- New hand out for Land Care and for Tree Advanced master Gardeners. Click the WildfireSafetyTips link below for a slick handout with hints about preparing for wildland fires. Remember in Virginia Winter IS wildland fire season.
- Keep your eyes open for a name change. It could be that Stewards will be more appropriately called Program Managers as in “Advanced Master Gardener: Water Program Manager.” After all that IS what we do!
- MG College 2015 will host Advanced Advanced training for all three of the Advanced Master gardener training areas. Look back here for more information as it becomes available.
- Exciting new opportunity for Advanced Master Gardener Water Stewards – a special “advanced” Advanced session will be part of MG College 2014.
- Tree Stewards will be offered a chance at an Advanced Session at MG College 2014, and The Tree Stewards training will be offered as part of MG College 2015
- Tree Rescue! The VT Sycamore, damaged by storm, has been resurrected thanks to cloning. Read more here.
- Upgrades Internet Presence
- In order to serve you better the website has been, and is being totally revised.
- The Smart Yard Care Book is available! Click here to see sample chapters and find out how to order!
The following is a list of recent additions to our web. Whenever we publish a paper, provide a new resource, submit a status report, or add anything else to our web, we’ll put a notice here. Every month we’ll remove the oldest items. The most recent changes are listed first, and each item is linked to the page with the updated content.
Advanced Master Gardener: Water training will be offered at Leesburg, VA this fall. Click here for more information.
This Year’s Advanced Master Gardener Training will be available at MG College in Land Care. Click here for details.
This year Advanced Master Gardener Training will be available at MG College in Water Quality. Click here for details
Advanced Master Gardener – Tree Stewards training will be offered at Master Gardener College this year. Click here for more details.
Barb Stewart from the National Park Service, Dave Close, The Virginia Cooperative Extension State Master Gardener Coordinator, and Land Care Steward Advanced Master Gardener, Frank Reilly offered a training session on the Virginia Advanced Master Gardener Land Care Steward Program at the International Firewise Communities Backyards & Beyond Conference in Tampa Florida. Click here to see a PowerPoint presentation summarizing their approach.
16 Advanced Master Gardeners completed Land Care Stewardship Training in conjunction with Master Gardener College.
June 1st 2007.
- Advanced Master Gardener – Water Quality will be offered prior to MG College 2007. Check here for details.
- This year’s Advanced Master Gardener – Water Quality training will be offered as a Service Learning course from Virginia Tech. Teachers and others wanting to pay tuition can take this course for credit! Click here for details
- Advanced Master Gardener Training for Tree Stewards was offered just before MG College began. Thirteen candidates began the Advanced Master Gardener Training on Wednesday before of MG College; and most completed the required a set curriculum of classes throughout the college. In addition they will work in the home Unit to assess community needs and develop the plans to meet those needs; followed by a project, and continued service. Advanced Master Gardeners receive advanced technical and programmatic training in a specific area. Right now that can be Trees Stewards, Advanced Master Gardener – Water Quality, and Advanced Master Gardener – Land Care. The Advanced Master Gardener will then be expected to perform at least 30 hours of program-specific volunteer work to become certified as an Advanced Master Gardener – Tree Steward. This commitment is above and beyond the volunteer commitment to remain a Master Gardener. Likewise in order to remain an Advanced Master Gardner, participants will need to contribute volunteer hours above and beyond that required fro Master Gardeners.
June 14, 2006
- Advanced Master Gardener – Tree Steward Training to be offered at Master Gardener College, 2006 Beginning on Wednesday June 21st and continuing throughout the College at Virginia Tech in Blacksburg VA. Click here for more details.
January 2, 2006
- Northeast Regional Office New Handbook Addresses Wildland Urban Interface Issues Press release on National Park Service Fire and Aviation Management Web Site: http://www.nps.gov/fire/public/pub_fir05_nero_handbook.html
December 29, 2005
- National Park Service announces availability of Advanced Master Gardener Land Care Training program and materials: http://www.nps.gov/applications/digest/printheadline.cfm?type=Announcements&id=4088
September 23, 2005
July 30, 2005
- Hanover County Master Gardeners began their training in Land Care
June 23, 2005
- The initial Land Care Steward Training session at Blacksburg began.